Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Renting office space

My wife and I rented a 4-office business suite under an LLC.  We rent 1 office to her business ( a separate single-member LLC) and sublease the other 3 offices to independent contractors.  Do we report the rent we pay for the entire suite and any expenses unrelated to the actual physical property like toilet paper, paper towels, waiting room furniture, etc on Form 1065 and then report rent we collect from the sublessees and things like maintenance and office cleaning on Form 8825?  So basically page 1 of Form 1065 will show a loss and then Form 8825 will show a gain that then nets out on Schedule K of Form 1065 ?       

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Renting office space

All the activities for the Office Rental operations (including supplies and furniture) get reported on Form 8825 and then flows forward as a net number to the1065 as Income from Rental Activities.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Renting office space

Thanks.  So to clarify, the rent we pay our landlord for the entire space AND the rent we receive from tenants both go on Form 8825?  Really anything related to running the entire office like toilet paper & paper towels, the fridge, furniture, printer, etc all goes on 8825, correct?     

And since Line 2 is Gross Rent, I assume that is for rent we collect from the tenants and I assume the rent we pay the owner and anything that doesn't have a category on the 8825 just gets put in the Other Expense category with an attached statement? 

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Renting office space

Both your assumptions are correct!

@geemonee

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies