Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

real estate clinic purchase

How do you claim bonus depreciation? As I understand principal is not tax deductible but interest is for a real estate bysiuness purchase? Do you advise higher downpayment or lower since interest can be written off? Any real estate lawyer you advise to review terms

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Consult with a tax professional and a lawyer....https://www.martindale.com/real-estate-lawyers

Bonus depreciation is for personal property and not real estate. Example would be a refrigerator you buy and use in your rental property.

Carl
Level 15

Depreciation of any type, be it the bonus (Special Depreciation Allowance), SEC 179 or regular, has nothing to do with principle, interest, down payments, or anything of that nature. It has everything to do with $value$. Look, it's not like you learn this stuff through osmosis. yet it's also apparent you are attempting you educate yourself so you can make an informed decision. Smart move. But a public user-to-user forum such as this is not your best move. Many unwittingly attend a special school to learn it.... the school of hard knocks. I have multiple degrees from that one. 🙂

Also understand that any type of depreciation is not a permanent deduction. What may save you money now, can and will cost you more later. Sometimes as much as 3 times more. Google can be your friend. Or even better, you can find a tax professional with the heart of a teacher. You really need to educate yourself on this, but do it a better way...... not at the same school I attended. Way to costly and makes the cost of a professional educator seem like a pittance in comparison.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies