turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax Early Rounding Issues creating LARGE variances between TurboTax Produced Return and Brokerage 1099-B Data

@mjrengaw I wrote the date of my comment to indicate the situation as of that date, not to indicate whether or not anything had changed from previous behavior.

There are two issues here. First, whether or not the values should be rounded before summing them. Second, whether there are errors in rounding the values.

There are various debates about the first issue, but there should be no debate about whether or not there should be errors in rounding the values - there should not be rounding errors, and Intuit needs to fix those rounding errors whether or not they change where in the calculation they round the numbers.

The fact that this behavior has persisted for a long time just indicates how unresponsive Intuit has been to this problem.

TurboTax Early Rounding Issues creating LARGE variances between TurboTax Produced Return and Brokerage 1099-B Data

@bredman 

Sorry, reading in context it appeared that you were indicating something was different or changed on 3/2. My bad if I misinterpreted what you meant.

Bottom line is the current behavior needs to be fixed.

DJG
Level 3

@mjrengaw 

Sorry, I'm with you now. I hadn't read through the whole thread and obviously thought you were saying something else entirely. My bad. 

I just got off of a frustrating phone call with TurboTax to complain about this fiasco.  First, she tried to claim that the IRS had "probably changed something on their end" that forced TurboTax to round everything.  After I shot down that idea, she said TT was aware of this issue and was working on it, but that felt a lot like what they always say to get you off the phone so they can go and [not] help the next customer.  I never had confidence she actually understood the issue, so it's hard to put much faith in her claim that they're working on a solution for this tax year.  Has anyone else gotten any indication from them about whether a fix is coming?  

From what I have been told, the hopeful anticipated estimated time frame for this fix is mid March. My guess is that this is the statement being made due to the fact that Corp Filing due date is the 15th of March. This has, unfortunately, also been an issue with many other tax prep software systems. I realized this does not help you with respect to an immediate need/want to e-file, but I just wanted to let you know what I have been told. 

DJG
Level 3

@WendyN2 , it is nice to have someone from TT monitoring the thread and providing an update, so thank you. 

@WendyN2  Thank you for your update. It certainly calms the waters a bit to know we're being heard.

DJG
Level 3

My current satisfaction with TurboTax is 5/10.  But that might be inexplicably rounded up or down at any moment, you never know. 

Ya im having a similar issue with income being off. This has made it so my return is still being processed and needs further review. This is some bs. This is my 4th year with turbotax and never had any issues before now

I got this problem when I downloaded TD Ameritrade and had to update 43 transaction so the worksheet matched the Form 8949, once I did that it worked.  I then got a second batch of many more transactions from another broker and TT generated many transactions with $0 but had some tax withheld information so I had to match those but did so using the drop downs in the smart check and all 80 were quickly fixed.  I dont recall ever having this problem before.  It does appear that TT support is non-existent on any issue I have looked at in these discussion threads.  Will look at other options going forward.

l lost all contact with turbo tax,need contact with live person

I agree with MaxTax! 

Same issue, but different problem. In my case, I entered a securities transaction that included a $0.44 amount in Column 1g (Wash Sale Loss Disallowed), per the 1099-B, which checked the corresponding box.

Turbo Tax rounded that to $0 in the 8949 and then gave me an error telling me that an amount was required!

Mag4

I spoke to a support person about this issue, but she was no help. I gave up and chose “file by mail” because I need my refund. I feel like TurboTax needs to refund part of what I paid for their service because I was not able to e-file, which is part of what I was paying for.

I ran into this discrepancy today Mar 5 with about 500+ transactions. Please have it fixed ASAP

It seems like the thread gets busier every weekend as more and more people do their Taxes. Hopefully we get it resolved. I still can't believe TurboTax made this change in their software after not doing it for the prior decade. Hopefully the complaints go exponential in the coming weeks if it is not changed soon.

DJG
Level 3

Maybe worth calling everyone's attention to this other thread, where TurboTax employee @ReneeM7122 completely contradicted what TurboTax employee @WendyN2 told us on this thread (i.e., that a fix is coming, probably by mid-March).  Renee and Wendy, could you two maybe compare notes and get back to us with a decisive answer on whether the engineering team is planning to fix the 8949 rounding issue?  It is very frustrating to keep getting different answers.  Thank you.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies