Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smquinn13
Returning Member

Turbo tax is not calculating my cost basis for RSU accurately

I have several different items to enter in from my 1099 B for RSU sale. Restricted stock was released four times during the year. I have supplemental info that shows adjusted cost basis for each of the four sales. When I enter in the information from the Employee Stock Release forms the adjusted cost basis is reflected accurately for two of the sales and not the other other two. How do I adjust this? Is there an easier way?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
mrkl
Returning Member

I have the same issue. I have 3 RSU transactions. 2 of them have Cost Basis accurately calculated. One doesn't.

The one with the error has 3 RSU's vested. 2 Sold for taxes. TurboTax calculates cost basis as if just one share sold.  If I set the number of shares vested to 4 or higher. The calculation works as expected. But I don't know if that is a safe workaround.

I have spoken to multiple Intuit people. They can't explain it and do not care. Refund is the only option if you don't like it or can't figure out a workaround for their bug. Last time I'm using TurboTax. Have RSU  issues like this every year and they never get fixed.

smquinn13
Returning Member

I ended up being able to fix this once I ran the smart check. For some reason it kept saying I had an error on those stocks where I only had one share and sold it to cover my taxes. In the smart check it took me directly to the form. On the actual form there was a column that said "stock withholding" And the number one for the amount of shares. Once  I removed that 1.0 stock withholding it added up correctly. Then it took me to that error for the second stock that I only had one share and sold one to cover taxes and I did the same thing with the same result. I don't know if I'm explaining this well because this is all new to me.  But once I took that out of the withholding column everything looked like it was supposed to. I hope that helps! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies