turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Small claims judgement received in 2020 for a rental property that I no longer own.

I received a small claims judgement in 2020 for property sold in 2018.  If I still owned the property I would add the judgement to rental income and the attorney's fees to the appropriate line.  However, I no longer have a Schedule E for this property.  How should I handle this in Turbo Tax?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Small claims judgement received in 2020 for a rental property that I no longer own.

You would enter this as Other Income.

Since this is, in effect, recapture of deductions you claimed on past tax returns.

To enter in TurboTax go to:

Federal Taxes -> Wages & Income -> I'll choose what I work on -> scroll to the bottom and under Less Common Income select Start (or Update) for Miscellaneous Income.... You'll find all sorts of other income categories in there. If none of those shown fit the bill then pick Other reportable income and you can enter your own description(s) and amount(s).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RayW7
Expert Alumni

You would enter this as Other Income.

Since this is, in effect, recapture of deductions you claimed on past tax returns.

To enter in TurboTax go to:

Federal Taxes -> Wages & Income -> I'll choose what I work on -> scroll to the bottom and under Less Common Income select Start (or Update) for Miscellaneous Income.... You'll find all sorts of other income categories in there. If none of those shown fit the bill then pick Other reportable income and you can enter your own description(s) and amount(s).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies