Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I mark my personal stock capital gains as not taxable in my nonresident state taxes?

I live in WA, but have a rental property in PA. By default, TurboTax included capital gains from my personal stock portfolio into my nonresident PA state tax return. There is no connection between the rental property and my personal stock portfolio, and I did not live in PA at any point last year.

Should I mark all of the entries with "This sale is not taxable in PA"?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I mark my personal stock capital gains as not taxable in my nonresident state taxes?

yes. your problem may have occurred because after doing your federal you must do the non-resident state return before you do the resident state.  this is so you get the proper credit on your resident state return for income taxed by both states 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

yes. your problem may have occurred because after doing your federal you must do the non-resident state return before you do the resident state.  this is so you get the proper credit on your resident state return for income taxed by both states 

Is there an easy way to avoid this? Having to manually do this sucks.

Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm not specifically familiar with the PA software.  But, the state software has some similarities for all states. In particular, the interview asks you to identify each piece of income as PA or not PA income.  You identify the rental income as PA income and the Capital gain as not PA. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies