turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

choya

short term gain on sale of rental

I bought and sold a commercial rental in 2021, and made substantial short term gains. I also had substantial short term losses in the stock market. Can the rental property gains be offset by the losses, and how is this done on turbotax. When I dispose of the property through turbotax, it does not offset the gain from the loss.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your stock market losses are treated as short-term capital losses.

Your gain on the sale of the rental property is treated as ordinary income since you held the property for one year or less.

As a result, there is no direct, one-for-one, offset (as there would be if both received capital gain treatment). You can only use up to $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately) of the stock market losses against all other income.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Your stock market losses are treated as short-term capital losses.

Your gain on the sale of the rental property is treated as ordinary income since you held the property for one year or less.

As a result, there is no direct, one-for-one, offset (as there would be if both received capital gain treatment). You can only use up to $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately) of the stock market losses against all other income.

sorry, but holding the property for less than 1-year results in ordinary income, not short-term capital gain. you should see the gain in section II of form 4797. that is transferred to schedule 1 line 4

you can see form 4797 instructions. look at the table line 2 on page 1

IRC section 1231 doesn't apply because the property was held for less than 1 year. 

Https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i4797.pdf 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies