turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NOL carryover on form 8960

I'm starting form 1040 from scratch because I don't have last year's tax file.  My prior year's printed return was prepared by an accountant.  It had a ordinary NOL carryover, which I've inputted for regular income tax on my Federal Carryover Worksheet.  It also had a "section 1411 NOL", but how do I input on form 8960?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

You will have to enter that in Forms Mode, which is only supported in desktop versions of TurboTax.

Yes @tagteam, I have the desktop software of TurboTax Premier for Windows.  On form 8960, which line should I input my section 1411 carryover?  Thanks.

No @tagteam, line 4b is "Adjustment for Net Income or Loss Derived in the Ordinary Course of a Non-Section 1411 Trade or Business".  I have the opposite type of carryover -- NOL derived in a section 1411 trade.

@rootsmusic wrote:

No @tagteam, line 4b is "Adjustment for Net Income or Loss Derived in the Ordinary Course of a Non-Section 1411 Trade or Business".  I have the opposite type of carryover -- NOL derived in a section 1411 trade.

My mistake - the 1411 adjustment is entered on Line 7.

Yes @tagteam,  line 7 sounds right.  Turbotax has a Deduction Recoveries Worksheet for line 7, but I don't see the worksheet's tax guidance.  I believe that it's to deduct section 1411 NOL against net investment income.  Since I don't have any net investment income other than Schedule D, can I avoid the daunting worksheet?  I just want to input my carryover so it'll be in my tax file.

Yes, since that is all the adjustment relates to (the NIIT).

Ok @tagteam, I'm avoiding the Deduction Recoveries Worksheet for calculating line 7.  Before inputting my section 1411 NOL carryover, line 8 in my form 8960 subtotals $11,447.  If I manually input this carryover on line 7, then line 8 will become negative.  (I don't know where line 8 feeds into on other forms.)  Should I do so?  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies