Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IMPORT OF FIDELITY DATA WILL NOT PULL IN BOTH MY WIFE AND MY OWN 1099-R (CD version Home & BIZ)

Thank you for posting your solution. We had an identical problem. Multiple Fidelity accounts in Husband's name, multiple accounts in my wife's name, and a joint account in both of our names. In the past, TurboTax always pulled all the 1099's from all of our Fidelity accounts. This year it would only pull the Husband's accounts and the online version of TT provided no options to combine the wife's accounts.

We read your solution and tried logging out of our Fidelity husband account and then logging back in to the wife's Fidelity account. Returned to Turbo Tax and imported 1099's. TT pulled in all the wife's accounts and combined her 1099's with the husband's 1099's that had previously been imported.

This also resulted in our joint Fidelity accounts being double-reported. I was able to delete the double entries for the joint account from TT and proceed with the processing of our 2022 1040's.

Turbo Tax needs to modify their program to eliminate all this extra importing by the end user of their program

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

IMPORT OF FIDELITY DATA WILL NOT PULL IN BOTH MY WIFE AND MY OWN 1099-R (CD version Home & BIZ)

We are happy to hear you were able to get the issue resolved. @fun33 

Please let us know if we can further assist you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The 'double entry' problem existed over a decade ago - was then resolved the following year. 

However, TT was always able to download ALL the 1099's and trade data for both  husband and wife after logging into Fidelity via a single TT Import (I assume (Hope) this is only true when both spouses have the correct settings within Fidelity allowing either party to view/execute trades etc when either party is logged in). 

Now, we have to jump thru hoops - and in a precise order - just to get all the Fidelity data - and again, having to delete the double entries!  What a fiasco TT created this year.  

Don't get me started again on the big security hole TT has created for hackers who aim at TT and the 'open' ports they leave after doing an Import.  SUPER poor programming! 

Turbotax 2022 cannot work for import fidelity information.

How should we do?

it just popup "we'll open a tab in your default web browser to get ......."

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the thread here for more information on importing Fidelity. A few suggestions were to use a different browser and remove pop-up blockers.

Have you tried a different browser like Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome? Many people have stated using Edge and removing the pop-up blockers has helped. Please let us know if you are successful using a different browser.

@newtaxuser 

Here's the problem I had with importing into the web version of Turbotax, and a solution.

You log into Fidelity and follow the link to Turbotax (to get the discount).

When you import 1099 or other forms into TT, it seems to use your Fidelity credentials from the already open Fidelity session. TT doesn't ask for your Fidelity account number or password when you import, if you have a Fidelity session open in another browser tab.

At this point there is no way to import forms from another Fidelity account, e.g. for a spouse.

As a solution, if you go back and log off of your Fidelity account while still logged onto TT, then try to import data to TT, it WILL ask for an account number and password for a Fidelity account, at which point you can enter the second account number and password and import the other account's data.

Some have suggested that Fidelity's sharing of session credentials with TT in this manner could be a security risk. It certainly seems so, but I'm not enough of an expert to say so for sure.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for sharing what was able to work for you. This may help others in the community. @dmccauley19 

I too am really annoyed with the change TurboTax Desktop made this year forcing these imports through a web browser proxy session. I discovered this thread facing the exact same issues as everyone else. The good news is that Intuit does not appear to be storing credentials to 3rd parties on their servers (thank god) -- but what is happening is the sign-in they proxy to Fidelity or whomever leaves behind whatever session cookies that 3rd party generates. (Also, if you are *already* signed into that 3rd party site in the default web browser TurboTax attempts to use, it will appear like TurboTax is quietly going straight into the account without asking for credentials at all -- which is what made several on this thread panic.) Eventually they will time out and expire -- but if you try to do another import relatively soon, the Turbo Tax web proxy will simply go right back into the same session. The solution is to clear your cookies for that site, e.g., fidelity.com, before attempting the next import.

I also complained to Fidelity about a different but related issue. I have access to family members' 1099s read-only through my own account. I can download them and see them online. However, the import from TurboTax won't see them; I'm forced to use my family members' direct credentials. I consider that a silly bug and escalated it with Fidelity. If one can see a 1099 at all, it should be available by any means.

So I ran into the same situation today.  I could not import my spouse's Fidelity 1099-DIV/INT after I imported mine (using TT Premier Desktop).  I called TT customer support and they could not figure it out either.  I have  the solution!

1. TT remembers your Intuit Log In credentials during the first 1099-DIV/INT import
  2. You will need to click on File, Signed In As (Your ID), and the software prompts you to Sign Out.  
  3. After you sign out, go back to import your spouse's 1099-DIV/INT and select the investment brokerage firm
  4. TT will prompt you to sign again into Intuit or Create a New Account.  If your spouse already has an Intuit account, log in with their credentials otherwise, Create an Account.
  5. Once the account is created, TT will automatically sign you in.
  6. Click on the import function again and you will get a new log in screen for your spouses investment account (in my case Fidelity).  Enter your spouse's Account and Password
  7. Bam...your spouses 1099's are imported to the tax return.
  8. Optional.. you can sign back out of TT and sign back in under your Intuit account for the rest of the tax return completion.

Hope this helps!  

This is absolutely RIDICULOUS. I just spent 3 hours trying to import my wife's data from Fidelity after having imported mine. I had about 25 tabs open in Chrome for work and had to close them all after saving the date. Then I had to clear cache, so with a slow internet connection all of those will load super slow again. Then and only then did it offer me the chance again to sign on to Fidelity.

Now for the fact that it seems to store the information and generates a sign-on with its own logic using a stored password, well I am not happy at all. First thing I am doing after this is changing my Fidelity sign ons. Next year I think I will skip TurboTax. 

skindoc

Exact same problem!  Can't download my wifes separate Fidelity acct. and mine.  One time it downloaded my 1099 withe HER (different login)!  PLEASE GO BACK TO LAST YEARS METHOD OF 1099 DOWNLOA

skindoc

TOTALLY AGREE!  BEEN USING TT FOR 20 YRS AND THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST BUG-RIDDEN TT EVER--ESPECIALLY THE FIDELITY 1099 DOWNLOADS.  PLEASE GO BACK TO PAST METHODS!

skindoc

CAN'T DO THIS WITH A THOUSAND ENTRIES ON 1099B!

Thanks to the numbskulls at Intuit, I had to close Chrome and clear cache to be able to import my wife's Fidelity data in the 2022 TurboTax. It always worked before. No after clearing cache I lost all of the stored information in various websites I frequent and have to enter it all again. I should get a refund for this POS software.

Same problem with Fidelity imports; but solved by saving and exiting, then starting up again. And it will not recognize and import my TD Ameritrade Futures 1099-B either.

I agree I thought at first it is safer but when I tried the second import it went straight into my Fidelity account, so it must be storing our passwords. This is really unsafe IMO. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies