Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm trustee of a complex trust and can allocate capital gains to the beneficiaries. I distributed $3,000 of $5,000 of the cg. What do I enter as distributions and alloc?

If I enter $5,000 as allocable and $3,000 as attributable to income, Schedule D, line 18(a) allocates the entire $5,000 to the beneficiary and $0 to the trust, but the K-1 correctly shows $3,000 cap gain distributed.  If I enter $3,000 allocable and $5,000 attributable, Sched D line 18(a) correctly allocates $3,000 to beneficiary, but the K-1 shows less than $3,000.  I can't find any combination of the two numbers that allocates $3,000 to the beneficiary in both the Schedule D and the K-1.  What should I enter?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I'm trustee of a complex trust and can allocate capital gains to the beneficiaries. I distributed $3,000 of $5,000 of the cg. What do I enter as distributions and alloc?

I cannot seem to replicate your issue.

I entered $5,000 as LTCG with $3,000 allocated to income and to the beneficiary, then made a distribution of $3,000 to the beneficiary. Note that I also used percentages and that also appeared to be correct.

I have $3,000 allocated to the beneficiary and $2,000 allocated to the trust on Schedule D (18a).

Thanks for your quick response.  Do I understand that on the Income tab under the headng Allocation of Capital Gains/Loss, in the subsequent page Allocation of Long Term Capital Gain you entered $3,000 and the next page Enter Gains Attibutable to Income you also entered $3,000?  When I do that, the Schedule D is correct as you note in your test, but the K-1 has a lesser amount distributed to the beneficiary.  Did you check the K-1?  thanks again.

@taxbattler wrote:

Did you check the K-1? 

Yes, I did check the K-1. In fact, I also did a test return with two K-1s and both were split evenly (50% each).

In both cases, the figures on the K-1s were correct; $3,000 for the first K-1 and then $1,500 each for the second set of test K-1s.

I am not sure what is happening in your case.

Thank you for trying this.  I must have done something earlier in the return that is impacting my results.  I'll redo my return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies