turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live outside the state of Georgia but have rental properties in the state. After expenses, I did not make a profit in 2019. Do I need to file a Georgia return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

I live outside the state of Georgia but have rental properties in the state. After expenses, I did not make a profit in 2019. Do I need to file a Georgia return?

Yes, even if you did not have a profit after expenses, you still need to file a GA return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I understand I have to file a return, but I am being asked to pay state taxes despite filing a loss. Does that sound accurate?

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

I cannot see your return or account here, as this is a public forum. However, this does not sound correct. You may want to very closely double-check your data entry. You may also want to look at your forms. Here's how to look at your current-year return forms:

• In the left-hand menu bar, click on Tax Tools, then click Tools.
  • Under Other helpful links, click View Tax Summary.
  • Your Tax Summary will be displayed. In the left-hand menu bar, you will see a new option: Preview My 1040. Click it, and this will allow you to see the forms. It is important to check your 1040 before you check your state return, as much of your entries on the 1040 will impact the state return.
  • If you want to view your state entries, Click on Tax Home in the left-hand menu bar. In the center of your screen, scroll down until you see State Taxes. Click on it to review your state entries.

Thank you again Gisele for your response. I checked the 1040, and everything appears correct. The mistake seems to lie in the transfer of federal return information to state. My interest and dividends earned from a brokerage and savings account are being transferred to my non-resident state (Georgia), causing me to have to pay taxes in Georgia despite my actual profit in Georgia being <$0 (rental income - expenses = negative). 

I am unable to change the quantities for Dividends and Interest Income from Georgia to my home state (they are greyed out and can't be edited). I would be happy to share my return with you in order to show you thie issues I am having. 

I stand corrected. My federal 1040 looks fine, but the GA Tax Summary shows a non-0 adjusted net income (should be less than 0). I don't know how to change this.

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

What AGI are you seeing for GA?

@miike-cleary6

This is exactly and I am dealing with. I have a rental loss for a property. I am a California resident. I have properties in multiple states and GA seems to have some issue. It doesn't seem right. Even after adjusting for a depreciation difference between fed and GA, I have a negative rental income in GA. 

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Even though your rental property in GA produced a loss, you still need to file a GA non-resident tax return.  You may not have any GA taxable income; however the GA Department of Revenue still requires the filing of a tax return in situations of the type you have described. 

@kmbayarea

jlee
Returning Member

I am non non-resident in GA but I had a rental property income as loss in 2021.  I would like to know how to carry over the loss to 2022 in turbo tax.  In addition, I need to know how to adjust deprecation between federal and GA.  Turbo tax calculated GA adjustment but I am not clear how it got the numbers.  Please explain.  Thanks

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

In TurboTax CD/Download, report prior year losses at the screen Do any of these situations apply to this property under Property Profile.

In TurboTax Premier Online, see Carryovers, limitations, at risk info, etc. at the screen Here's your rental property info.

The TaxBook page GA-1 states:

Georgia Department of Revenue Individual Income Tax Booklet refers to:

• (depreciation) differences in Georgia and Federal law during tax years 1981 through 1986, and
  • (depreciation) adjustments due to Federal tax changes.  See here.

@jlee 

jlee
Returning Member

Thanks.  Can I carry over loss from rental investment in GA like Federal until I utilize?

Absolutely, for that alone it makes perfectly sense to file evey year to carry forward your your losses so at a time when you need to utilize that loss like down the road when you sell your house, you may use those losses against the capital gain you recognize at the year you report your sale. See HERE for more information on this subject.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies