Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I I have a 1099-B showing a "final bankruptcy payout" showing selling 7.7989 shares at .21 per share or $1.64

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I I have a 1099-B showing a "final bankruptcy payout" showing selling 7.7989 shares at .21 per share or $1.64

Follow these steps to enter the form 1099-B in TurboTax:

1. Income and expenses
  2. Investment income
  3. Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  4. Follow the prompts to enter your form 1099-B information
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My problem is that it shows no cost basis. I'm also not exactly sure what it's for. It is a settlement from a Bankrupcy from a company that closed up over 25 years ago.  No matter what I do it always comes back on Turbo Tax that it needs attention.  All this for $ 1.64.

Thanks for your help and consideration.

Dave

spaszoid2
Returning Member

I also received a 1099-B Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions. This was the final amount that I was to receive from this investment. Do I need to do a Schedule D? How do I handle an investment that went bankrupt? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Do I need to do a Schedule D?

A.  Yes.  Failure to file a schedule D will result in getting a letter from the IRS demanding tax on the entire Proceeds amount.  If the amount is small, e.g. $1.64, you would probably be safe ignoring it.  But you don't want to, see next question/answer.

Q. How do I handle an investment that went bankrupt? 

A.  You report the proceeds of the sale  (report $0 if there was no form 1099-B or actual $).  You report your cost basis and claim a capital loss on your Schedule D.  You may deduct up to $3000 against other income.  Any amount over $3000 is carried forward to next year, where you will deduct another $3000 and carry forward any remaining excess. The entire loss can be deducted against capital gains (and qualified dividends), but you are limited to $3000/year against ordinary income.

Q. What if I Don't know my cost basis?

A. You have to report the sale on your tax return. Lacking any cost basis, the IRS will consider the entire sale amount as taxable. So, you need to make your best effort to determine the original cost basis, even if (worst case) it's a guess. Historical prices of publicly traded stocks are  readily available on the internet and should, at least, satisfy the IRS that your basis wasn't zero; just "google" “Historical Stock Prices". I use http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/historical/. The stockholder relations dept. at the company may be able to help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies