turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jess-sp

I deduct depreciation from my rental property income. But my final return doesn't include any depreciation schedules. How do I fix this?

In previous years, TT attached a depreciation schedule to my return for every item I depreciated.  This year there's nothing, not even a form showing what was depreciated.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I deduct depreciation from my rental property income. But my final return doesn't include any depreciation schedules. How do I fix this?

You do not necessarily get a Form 4562 every year.

Use Form 4562 to figure your deduction for depreciation and amortization. Attach Form 4562 to your tax return for the current tax year if you are claiming any of the following items.

• A section 179 deduction for the current year or a section 179 carryover from a prior year. See chapter 2 for information on the section 179 deduction.
  • Depreciation for property placed in service during the current year.
  • Depreciation on any vehicle or other listed property, regardless of when it was placed in service. See chapter 5 for information on listed property.
  • A deduction for any vehicle if the deduction is reported on a form other than Schedule C (Form 1040) or Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040).
  • Amortization of costs if the current year is the first year of the amortization period.
  • Depreciation or amortization on any asset on a corporate income tax return (other than Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation) regardless of when it was placed in service.
jess-sp

Thank you for responding, this is really helpful.  So, since I didn't place any new items into service in 2020, nor do any of the other situations you listed here apply to me, my return doesn't need to include 4562? 

I guess this is the first year I haven't placed new, depreciable assets into service so this has never come up before.

Thanks!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies