Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hal2
Level 2

I came back to TurboTax again this year and my Rental Property #1 is gone. How do I find it? Anyone know a phone number for TurboTax help. This isn't right. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I came back to TurboTax again this year and my Rental Property #1 is gone. How do I find it? Anyone know a phone number for TurboTax help. This isn't right. Thanks.

If you did not use TurboTax to file your 2018 return, then that means you do not have a .tax2018 file to import your 2018 information from. So you have no choice but to enter it manually from a printout of your 2018 return. Let me know if you need details on doing this, because most people in your specific situation mess up big time in the rental assets/depreciation section.

hal2
Level 2

Thanks Super Carl, but I have been using TurboTax for 9 years.  My rental property #1 is simply gone and I sold it in 2019.  I no longer have a Schedule C and TurboTax recommended I use the Premium version instead of last year's Home Office or whatever (the next one up).  That's the only thing I can think of.  But, the other two rental properties showed up perfectly.  I have tried to sign in again and it is still gone.  Lots of depreciation!  Yikes!  This hurts and no support phone number for a TurboTax mistake. Not a happy camper at the moment.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for information about how to contact us by phone:   What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

I no longer have a Schedule C

SCH C has absolutely  nothing to do with rental property. I think you meant to type SCH E. But more importantly, based on your comment, "I came back to TurboTax", I'm not sure how to interpret that. My thought is that you did not use TurboTax to file your 2018 tax return., as you may have in years prior. But now,  you're "coming back" to turbotax for the 2019 tax filing season.

TurboTax recommended I use the Premium version instead of last year's Home Office or whatever (the next one up)

So you did use TurboTax to file your 2018 taxes? Now I'm really confused, but will assume you did.

That means you're only option is to clear the 2019 return and start over from scratch. There is no other possibility. You'll find the option to clear and start over on your left under TOOLS.

Now if on your 2018 return you indicated that property was sold or disposed of, that's why it didn't import. If you indicated it was converted to personal use in 2018, then it may or may not have imported. (I'm still not clear on what happens with a conversion to personal use.)

hal2
Level 2

Thanks, Super Carl. Sorry for not being clear enough. I have used TurboTax every year starting 9 years ago. Admittedly, there were a lot of TurboTax web site problems that day, but I restarted a number of times and my Rental Property #1 was simply not there. Rental Properties #2 and #3 were there and correct.  Rental Property #1 was on my Sch. E as big as day last year and I did not sell it last year and my tax form has no indication of such. The only changes I had this year were that I no longer did a Sch. C for my former business from which I retired and, accordingly, TurboTax recommended that I use Premium and not the one above that which I used prior years. Premium was sufficient for my needs, but I wonder if it got lost in the transfer somehow.  Anyway, it does not matter now.  I lost a few hours, but I knew enough to go back to my 2018 return and properly calculate and enter the correct depreciation for tax recapture.  It's all done now, but this was a real nuisance.  I appreciate your reply nonetheless, so thank you.  TurboTax itself now seems to want to hide from offering assistance, even for a problem which is likely theirs.  I have absolutely no other explanation that an internal glitch.  In case you input to TurboTax quality control, there is another problem with their online program.  When one goes back or reviews categories, the site automatically deletes a lot of answers (not data, but checked boxes) already input.  This is unfortunate because it can cause deletions in final output if not caught and, very inconveniently, input again.  Thanks.  Best, Hal

I went back to my prior year when this happened to me and found that I had checked that the property was SOLD by accident.  This check box for whether it was sold in that tax year is in the Step-by-Step instructions under Property Profile.  I opened the prior year return in the prior year Turbo Tax, and I deselected this checkbox and saved.  Then I transferred this updated file to the current year, and the property showed up.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies