turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am renting to family and it is well under fair market value, how and where can this affect my return and should I continue to put this under rental property.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am renting to family and it is well under fair market value, how and where can this affect my return and should I continue to put this under rental property.

Every day you rent to a family member at below fair rental value is considered a day of personal use.

See I.R.C. § 280A(d)(2)

Therefore, your property should be treated as a second home with the only deductible expenses being property taxes and mortgage interest (subject to the relevant limitations).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

When renting to family *and* at below FMV, once your rental losses get your taxable rental income to zero (and they will) no further losses are allowed and no carry over's are allowed. If you have carry overs from prior years where you did rent at or above FMV, then you lose those carry overs permanently and forever.

Every day you rent to a family member at below fair rental value is considered a day of personal use.

See I.R.C. § 280A(d)(2)

Therefore, your property should be treated as a second home with the only deductible expenses being property taxes and mortgage interest (subject to the relevant limitations).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies