turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hafkari
Returning Member

I am a non-resident of California and have a rental property there. Where do I take credit for non-resident income tax on rental income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I am a non-resident of California and have a rental property there. Where do I take credit for non-resident income tax on rental income?

What is your state of residence?

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
hafkari
Returning Member

I am a Nevada resident. I want to know what fed form and where I can put California state income tax. I can't add this tax to schedule E line 16 (Taxes) because it will be counted as additional tax payment and will reduce CA tax which is wrong.

TomD8
Level 15

State and local income taxes are entered on Line 5a of Schedule A on your federal return.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

The Calif tax is a cost of doing business.

If you were in a state that had an income tax, you would have been able to receive a credit for taxes paid to other states to avoid being taxed on the income twice.

However, since Nevada does not have a state income tax, you aren't being taxed on that income twice and as a result, no credit, no deduction on Sch E.

As noted, you might be able to deduct on Sch A if you itemize.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
hafkari
Returning Member

I take standard deduction. This state tax is on rental income. So it is a cost of doing business in California. I don't understand why I won't be able to deduct it somewhere other than schedule A.

TomD8
Level 15

See "Taxes" in this CPA reference:  https://www.therealestatecpa.com/blog/ultimate-guide-irs-schedule-e

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies