turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jiacinto

I am a landlord selling my property. To put it on sale I had to have the tenants leave. To get them to leave early I had to pay them one month’s free rent. Can I deduct that rent concession in th

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a landlord selling my property. To put it on sale I had to have the tenants leave. To get them to leave early I had to pay them one month’s free rent. Can I deduct that rent concession in th

since you actually paid them out of pocket it is deductible. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If by "I had to pay them one month's free rent", you actually mean that you did not charge them rent for their last month there, then the answer to your question is no. You can not deduct from your income that which you never actually received and paid taxes on in the first place.

jiacinto

I gave them one month’s rent in cash. So cash went from my hand to theirs.

since you actually paid them out of pocket it is deductible. 

Carl
Level 15

If you claimed that money as income and reported it as same, then you can claim giving it back to them as a concession. That basically makes it a wash on the tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies