Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ke2237
Returning Member

How many stock transactions can turbo tax import.Some say 1,500,some say 10,000 can handle 10,000.Difference between I port and handle?

Getting different answers from turbo tax.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
BrimstoneFox
Returning Member

How many stock transactions can turbo tax import.Some say 1,500,some say 10,000 can handle 10,000.Difference between I port and handle?

To import from Etrade the limit for the desktop software is between 2000 and 2500 I believe I think its 2000 or less for the online program.

This post https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-enter-a-large-number-of-stock-tra... says its 10k, but I can attest from experience (and talking to Etrade) that is false. It may be able to handle that many transactions if you do so manually (but who is going to do that?)  (its possible the limit may be higher for other brokers, I don't know, I do not believe it is , I think the limitation is on the turbo tax side)

There does not appear to be anyway to parse a 1099 PDF or csv file to import the data in an offline manner either.

You can enter a summary, but if you have wash sale data you still need to send that to the IRS my mail.

This help article says it's 1,500 for the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-my-1099/00/26254 

And see this one.  It says Online can handle 10,000.   Yeah there must be a difference between import and handle. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-many-stock-transactions-can-turbotax-o... 

Or maybe the difference is if the broker is an Import Partner.  Then you can get more?  If not you only can get 1,500?    That must be it.  

ke2237
Returning Member

Thanks but their listed on turbo tax page

Very good question, I have the same question, I am interested in seeing the solutions that users can give here in the comments

VolvoGirl Thank you very much for this answer, it seems to me the best solution, if you didn't say it I wouldn't have thought of it

zen111

I wrongly downloaded from Fidelity twice and received the following message. You have more then 2,000 transactions, the Turbo tax is not designed to handle that. So the limit is smaller than 2,000, not the 10,000 advertised. The limit is somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

The limit on the amount of transactions was recently changed to up to 1500 as shown here

Please let us know if we can further assist you. @zen111 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies