Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

uk05
Level 3

How is interest earned monthly on cryptocurrency / cryptoassets balances taxed & reported to the IRS?

Considering investing with crypto brokerage firm that offers earned interest on balances, which is paid out monthly in the same currency / asset of the balance (BTC earns more BTC, ETH more ETH, etc). Before I do, however, I'd like to better understand how it's taxed and should be reported the following year.

I know capital gains would only kick in if I sold or used the crypto to purchase something, etc. but, my question is outside of selling or using it, and more specifically surrounding the acquisition of the currency / asset as earned interest - would it be considered income that would be added to my AGI? Would I receive a 1099-INT comparable to a checking or savings account, etc.?

If anyone is familiar or has direct experience with this any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
uk05
Level 3

How is interest earned monthly on cryptocurrency / cryptoassets balances taxed & reported to the IRS?

@macuser_22 @dmertz @DawnC

The three of you have a track record of being knowledgeable in a number of areas. Do you have any insights into this one by chance?

Thank you.

Sorry - I have zero knowledge of cryptocurrency.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If you get interest on crypto paid in crypto, you will have to report that in dollars at the current price.

uk05
Level 3

How is reported though- as income that's added to my AGI or MAGI? or would I receive a 1099-INT like I would on a savings or checking account?

Where would this be added in TurboTax?

Thanks.

There are a number of crypto companies that pay interest on deposits of crypto.

This industry is not as regulated as the banking industry and company policies on issuing a 1099-INT most likely vary.  My recommendation is to call the company that you are considering using and ask whether they issue a form 1099-INT.

Whether you receive a form 1099-INT or not, the interest earned MUST be reported so you need to make sure you can track this or get this information on documentation provided by the brokerage firm.

Keep in mind, this interest earned is not like having the investment at a bank.  With crypto you could earn interest income, that needs to be reported, and the value of your investment may have declined in value.  Whereas with a bank, the interest income will just add to your investment and will not decline.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you receive interest income and you do not get a 1099-INT, you enter it in TurboTax as if you did get a 1099-INT. Enter the name of the brokerage or exchange in the "Received from" box, and enter the total amount of interest for the year in Box 1.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies