Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do you book depreciated assets when selling investment property?

I sold my investment property this year, and had to install a new roof in 2017 for about $10K that I have taken depreciation for in 2018 and 2019.  This gives me 2 entries under "property assets" -- the house and the roof.  For the house, I believe I should book this by reducing the sales price of the house by $10K.  For the roof, I believe I should enter the sales price of the roof as $10K (no profit or loss) while also entering the prior depreciation taken.  Is this correct?  Any other considerations?  Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You need to allocate the sales price to the building, land and roof. Then when you report the sale, the depreciation will be factored into any potential gain, so that it can be recaptured as ordinary income, from which it was deducted when you took the depreciation.

So, pull up the assets in TurboTax and report the sale of them and allocate the sales price based on the cost of the building, land and roof or by any other method that is reasonable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You need to allocate the sales price to the building, land and roof. Then when you report the sale, the depreciation will be factored into any potential gain, so that it can be recaptured as ordinary income, from which it was deducted when you took the depreciation.

So, pull up the assets in TurboTax and report the sale of them and allocate the sales price based on the cost of the building, land and roof or by any other method that is reasonable.

Thanks!  I'm assuming I do the same with the expenses from the sale of the house, allocating them across the house / land / roof based on the percentage of the overall sales price, correct?  Thanks again!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@GregG33 Yes, that is correct! The land does not have any depreciation on it, so all of that portion of the gain will be taxed at the normally more favorable capital gain rates, so you want to make sure you don't underestimate the sales price allocated to the land.

OK... so I don't have to use the land value that's published on the county's website?  Using the percentage of purchase, the sales price of the land comes out about $2K higher than what the county published.  Is this allowable?  Thanks again!

Yes, this is allowable. The County Sites state these more for "valuation" purposes for real estate tax calculations for themselves, and these values as you can see are not always on the mark, so to speak. More often, they can be quite a percentage off (higher or lower)! Looks like you are on the right track!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies