Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Tax

Under deductions, there is a section on foreign tax paid. It states that if you get dividend income from foreign countries you must list a 1099-Div from each country instead of just one inclusive of US and Foreign. Some stock accounts have multiple boxes filled(e.g. capital gains distribution, etc.) Do I just fill that info once or repeat it for each country? Also, some foreign countries show no foreign tax paid. Do I include the dividends reported from those countries with US dividends or separately. If separately, where do I indicate which country?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Foreign Tax

@sethornton51  are you trying to enter 1099-DIV information that shows foreign taxes paid?  is the total foreign taxes paid more than the safe harbor amount of  $300  for single  ( $600 for joint filer ) ?  Are you trying to use foreign tax  as a deduction  when itemized deduction ( schedule-A ) is being used ? Or trying to get foreign tax credit using form 1116?  Is this foreign earnings and taxes  from a mutual fund or direct investment in foreign shares?

Foreign Tax

I had entered the info from the 1099-Div forms I had received. At least one account had other boxes filled in other than ordinary and qualified dividends. I later came to a section on foreign taxes paid and where I can see if I qualified for a foreign tax credit. In checking "learn more" links, an example stated that if I had paid foreign tax that I needed to report the 1099-Div in separate segments (US, and for each Foreign country tax was paid): however, in some accounts there was a mixture of countries where tax was paid, and not paid. Do I need to go back to the section for reporting 1099-Div info for each account, and separate each account that foreign tax was paid into sub-groups? If so, do I group the dividends received from foreign countries where no tax was paid with the US dividends? Is there a place to indicate the foreign country in the 1099-Div reporting section? BTW, the total foreign tax paid on 4 accounts is below $100.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Foreign Tax

@sethornton51 , having gone through your reply--

(a) you just have to enter all the 1099-DIVs into TurboTax -- all the boxes  that are filled  in the 1099s.  This should let TurboTax determine that you have Foreign taxes. And since the total amount is  under the safe harbor amount ( $300 for single / $600 for joint filers)  this should  result in automatic credit - it may still ask you if you wanted credit or deduction -- choose credit.

(b) generally TurboTax should not be asking for  "countries" infomation but i fit does  just choose  RIC -- Regulated Investment Company or various ( I don't know if this last one still works ).

(c) you do not have to enter each country amount separately --- just the 1099-DIVs should be enough

Does this solve your issue  or am I missing something?  Can I help you  with more ?

Foreign Tax

Thank you! The answer you gave me is what I suspected, but was not sure of. The tax rules have changed almost year to year recently, and I was not sure if this was one. Thanks again.

Foreign Tax

I do have another question that you might be able to help me on. It concerns rental income that I asked over a month ago, but I got no answer. The question was this: I had expenses such as house insurance, property taxes, mortgage interest, etc., but received no rent income. Do I list that as 0.00 income or as a negative number based on fair market monthly rent times 12 months? if you don't have an answer, do you know someone who might? Thanks sethornton51

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Foreign Tax

@sethornton51 , for filling out schedule-E  ) Rental income etc., you use gross rental income as the gross income.  Thus if your property was rented or was available for rent that result in Zero rent for a period , you  still use ONLY actual received rent for the year.  This  , even without considering depreciation ,  may result in negative income ( LOSS). As a actively involved  ( and not a  realestate professional), the Passive Activity Loss is limited to 25,000 per year -- that will reduce your ordinary income and therefore  taxable income.

Does this answer your question or am i being off the mark ?

Foreign Tax

Yes, so I need to state in the income section on a rental property owned a negative number since I did not receive rental income for the year.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Foreign Tax

@sethornton51 , sorry -- perhaps I was not clear --- you report ONLY the amounts you actually recieved.  Thus if you received zero rent for one month then you show zero ( not what you expected ) -- you are a cash basis taxpayer.

So if you received  ONLY 3 months of rent during the whole year @ 300 per month , you report your gross rental income as 900 for the year.

My apologies for not being clear

Foreign Tax

Understand thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies