turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ROWDYS
Returning Member

For my rental property I purchased in 2020, can I deduct the admin fee, Closing fee, Processing fee, Underwriting fee, Appraisal fee, Credit Report Fee, settlement fee?

I am in the enter escrow fees section for my rental property and trying to figure everything, I don't have a HUD-1 statement, I have a closing cost statement for a 30 yr conventional loan.  Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

For my rental property I purchased in 2020, can I deduct the admin fee, Closing fee, Processing fee, Underwriting fee, Appraisal fee, Credit Report Fee, settlement fee?

No. According to IRS.gov, the only fees that are deductible are for interest, certain mortgage points and deductible real estate taxes. All other fees are  additions to your basis in the property and part of your depreciation deduction.  You will need to add these in your return as assets to be depreciated. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ROWDYS
Returning Member

Thanks.  That is where/why TurboTax is asking me to add these things, but I do not have a HUD-1 statement I have conventional loan statement.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, at this point you can add these using your conventional loan statement. 

ROWDYS
Returning Member

I know this, but Turbo Tax uses the "Hud-1" statement as their guide, and so it is totally different than the Conventional Loan Statement... That is why I asked my first question.

I realize this post is a year old, but I have the same question... 

Looking for a "translation" b/w the HUD-1 statement format still used by TurboTax (2021) and the Closing Disclosures issued in recent years...  Also, need to clarify whether "credit report" and "flood certification" should be included in basis or amortized deduction.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The credit report will be deducted as an expense and the flood certification will be added to the basis.

Generally, deductible closing costs are those for interest, certain mortgage points, and deductible real estate taxes.

Many other settlement fees and closing costs for buying the property become additions to your basis in the property and part of your depreciation deduction, including:

• Abstract fees
  • Charges for installing utility services
  • Legal fees
  • Recording fees
  • Surveys
  • Transfer taxes
  • Title insurance
  • Any amounts the seller owes that you agree to pay (such as back taxes or interest, recording or mortgage fees, sales commissions, and charges for improvements or repairs).

@sergepl

Does this "mapping" look correct?  The bullet text refers to the TurboTax fields (for "Cost Basis" only) and the letter followed by a number refer to the Closing Disclosure designations.

Cost Basis

• Abstract and Recording Fees:
    1. E1 – Recording Fees
  • Legal Fees, Title Search, Documentation Preparation:
    1. B1 – Appraisal Fee
    2. B3 – Document Preparation Fee
    3. B4 – Document Review Fee
  • Land Surveys:
    1. B5 – Flood Certification
    2. C1 – Survey Fee
  • Title Insurance:
    1. C3 - Title – Courier Fee
    2. C4 - Title – Escrow Fee
    3. C5 - Title – Lender’s Title Insurance
    4. C6 – Title - Recording Service Fee
    5. C8 - Title – Title Endorsement Fee
    6. C9 - Title – TX Guarantee Fee
    7. H2 - Title – Owner’s Title Insurance (optional)
  • Transfer or Stamp Taxes:
    1. E – N/A
  • Expenses You Paid for the Seller: N/A

Amortized (over term of mortgage):

• A. Origination Fees:
    1. A1 - % of Loan Amount (Points) – Blank
    2. A2 – Closing Fee
    3. A3 – Processing Fees
    4. A4 – Underwriting Fees
    5. B2 – Credit Report
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes. The mapping looks correct as far as which fees get added to the basis and which are amortized over the life of the loan. It follow the same guidelines that the IRS lists on their site. 

Serge, where did you get that table from? Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies