Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

GLUA
Level 3

Fidelity Investment import not working.

On the trip to the cloud, many features got lost.  I can't find a way to look at the Form view of my data.

Even the technical folks at TT admit that the download/CD version is more powerful.

I like to make a copy of my prior year's return in November and update it for the current year's information.  I get an idea of my taxes and what I need or can do to take advantage of tax loss harvesting.  

I thought you were supposed to use the Premier version if you had investments.  

I hope TT doesn't eliminate the download version until they add power to the online version.

I hope that is after I file my last tax return.

@steppy 

See my post from Friday. I tried to mention all of the major steps I did.

@steppy You don't exactly "merge" with the Desktop version.  After you import to the Online version, you go to the left side, and click on "Tax Tools", then "Tools", then "Save your 2022 return to your computer."  I downloads a .tax file that you can then open using the Desktop version of TT.  Please note that this is a brand new file and any work you previously did in the Desktop version will not be included.  You then have to repeat whatever work you previously did in Desktop with that new .tax file.

steppy
Returning Member

Thank you all for the helpful information.

I am using Home and Business version on Macintosh.

I was able to import information for five Fidelity accounts, export a .tax2022 file and import it into desktop version. Of course as indicated this was a totally new tax return. So I went back online and uploaded my .tax2021 file, reimported the Fidelity transactions and downloaded again to import into my desktop software.

Not perfect. However with the 2021 upload, lots of items are populated including carry forwards, depreciation and other helpful items. I saved the previous file (the one that got up to the failed Fidelity import) and with both files open I figure I've got about an hour of copying completed sections which from scratch took over 8 hours.

Bottom line, I'll consider myself fortunate to only have to redo for an hour.

Still, this is NUTS!

Thanks again all.

steppy   

i just tried it

import online from fidelity (turbotax online), then download and open on PC....works fine but then you have to re-add everything

import from CD (PC version) directly...still fails...

So pb is on the CD version on PC and not fidelity....still no fix :(

I'm not putting my personal info online to be hacked .😠

I just spent an entire day migrating all my info from the Desktop version (which I paid $55 on Amazon) to their Online Premium version.  It was a chore, but at least there is all the supporting detail for each 1099-B transaction and I don't have to mail a 152 page PDF to the IRS supporting the summary info in Desktop.

You will not that the Online version is much, much pricier:

Screenshot 2023-03-13 160724.jpg

March 13 and I cannot download my fidelity information.  Tried everything. 

Same issue with me.  Using a MAC.  tried both chrome and safari

I have been trying for three days to download fidelity information. Downloaded two copies of TurboTax onto my Mac.  Switched browsers between Safari and Chrome.  Been online three times with TT customer support.  I always get the message the download was unsuccessful.  Going to switch to H&R Block. I’ve used TT for years. Very frustrated.   

This is also my last year using TT. 

You need to recreate your return in TT Online (where you can download the Fidelity 1099), save the .tax file to your computer, and open that in the Desktop version of TT.  

Then you can proceed, business as usual.  I spent 8 hours today doing this process and I am ready to file.  No longer need to mail the IRS a 152 page PDF of Fidelity 1099.  Yay for me!!!

I love their banner ad as I'm typing this:. "Your taxes, your way.". More like "My taxes, their way."😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is TurboTax/Intuit working on this?

I am having the same issue importing data from Fidelity. 1099-B import was unsuccessful. I am using desktop version and have way under 10k transactions… 

I have commented in another thread, I have no issues downloading Fidelity 1099B except one big problem.  Off course speaking to Turbo Tax is 20 minutes of my time I will never get back.  Everything according to the hard copy 1099-INT, DIV, MISC, etc. except for one crucial problem all equities purchased and sold never transferred to TT.  Hard copy has the information, Turbo Tax has the totals but no generated 8949 except for two items out of 32 .  Honestly since I do family taxes I just don't have the time to manually imput all the information.

Hopefully they will solve this problem, you can tell they were clueless in January and February(pass on that one since paperwork wasn't submitted till March) but you wonder if they do due diligence or confirmation of softwqre prior to selling the product. 

Luckily we only have one Fidelity account involved, vs multiple accounts at other brokerages.  

Congratulations TurboTax. 177 comments on this thread 36 on another similar thread and who knows how many similar threads regarding imports of 1099s not working. I also had work orders regarding this issue just closed with no resolution. I am older and not able to perform all the numerous work around others members have discovered. After using TT on my Mac for over 10 years with NO issues, I have been forced to change to an accountant. I guess the accountants may benefit from this 2023 Intuit failure. 

Accountant isnt going to help for most of us.  1099 downloads perfectly but no creation of 8949 and as a trader I cannot do numerous entries of buying and selling cost/proceeds and dates.  We are aware that the problem is definetely TurboTax, and instead of a fix they keep sending me Kudos and I have badge and major contributor to the community.  I don't imagine anyone has heard back, although I did note something interesting.

I only have one account with Fidelity and when I did IMPORT>Fidelity> I first had to sign into INTUIT than >Fidelity password and ID.  When I mentioned this to the CSR which was the first time in 20 years or so she actually though it was perfectly normal.  I have no clue why we had to use them as a pass thru.  Note I have various accounts with Interactive Brokers and no issues with the downloads on various accounts.  I have a family account so I trade for various family members. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies