Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Every 1099-B entry imported from ETrade shows up incorrectly with Adjustment Code N

Go through import summary and all the income sections using investment income and delete everything related to E*Trade. Update TT and try a new import. Looks like it finally worked for me. 

Every 1099-B entry imported from ETrade shows up incorrectly with Adjustment Code N

As one of the very early reporters of this problem on this thread, I too can confirm my 1099-B imported fine from E*Trade this afternoon Sunday 2/25 ~4PM Mountain time, which makes me VERY happy.  I hope everyone else continues to find a similar resolution to this annoying bug!

Same for me but with the E*trade and Morgan Stanley merger, they did not load the Corrected forms and one was missing.     Make sure it matches your downloaded forms.   My corrections were posted a few days ago

Finally got mine to work too - but had to find the solution in another similar thread

I had to go into forms and delete the ones in there for the worksheets with the N code (capital asset sale sheets) Apparently when i keyed 0 in N code items (when this issue originally came up), it kept the form since i had some manual input it - so every time i downloaded the 1099 to try the fix, the N code still showed up.......

So i deleted the 1099, then the form.  Saved return, exited and reopened TT.  When i reopened it, i redownloaded the 1099 and now the N's are gone

glad this is starting to close this one out - thanks all for your help and feedback !!! its great to have this community to help each other

I can also confirm the incorrect "N" issue has been resolved. I deleted the 1099 from Etrade, deleted the forms.

Redownloaded the 1099 and all is correct.  Thanks all! 

1196283, Hawaii & California

RachelW33
Expert Alumni

The issue with 1099-B's incorrectly importing with adjustment code N has now been resolved.  Please delete your imported 1099-B, update your TT Desktop software, and then re-import.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please let us know so that we can assist you further. @Enhawaii 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for helping with this.  Confirming that the fix worked. 

1197519 ; Texas

Is there any way to do this without losing all of my work on the e*trade 1099? It seems like deleting the form and all the related data is a "restart" on e*trade. Keying in all of the data to get to the adjusted basis was a huge headache. It's probably 30-45 minutes of repetitive and error-prone effort. 

I just deleted the download from E*trade and deleted the forms it created in TT which were incorrect (Adjustment code N).  Then I reimported the 1099 into TT and everything was correct.  No transactions had adjustment code N.   Took 10 minutes if that. 

It is possible to delete the errant N on the corresponding Cap Asset Sales form. Open the Forms list, and look for Cap Asset Sales below the Form 1099-B Wks in the forms list on the left.

I was able to successfully delete the N on the corresponding Cap Asset Sales form. Open the Forms list, and look for Cap Asset Sales below the Form 1099-B Wks in the forms list on the left.

I found a fix that worked for me. Delete the errant N on the corresponding Cap Asset Sales form. Open the Forms list, and look for Cap Asset Sales below the Form 1099-B Wks in the forms list on the left.

Same problem here. Although strangely out of 27 total transactions only 9 are reported wrong like this. The other 17 are fine. The 17 that are fine were all sales executed on or before 03/16/2023. The 9 reported wrong were sales executed on or after 11/14/2023. So somewhere between those two dates things at E-Trade appear to have gotten screwy. As another person stated, this problem belongs to both Etrade AND Intuit. Etrade for supplying incorrect data in their upload and Intuit for making it impossible to fix because the worksheet fields can't be corrected manually.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies