turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I still have to complete form 8949 with record of my stock transaction if my robinhood 1099b had wash sale disallowed?

Just wondering if I still have to record every stock transaction in my form 8949 after I attach my robinhood 1099b? Last year I had some wash sale disallowed within the form and will IRS require me to record every stock trades on form 8949 even I attach my robinhood 1099b? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do I still have to complete form 8949 with record of my stock transaction if my robinhood 1099b had wash sale disallowed?

You don't have to list every sale on Form 8949 if you are attaching a copy of your Robinhood statement that lists every sale. You have to make a summary entry on Form 8949 with the totals for each category (boxes A, B, D, and E). It sounds like you are not using TurboTax. If not, see "Exception 2" on page 3 of the IRS Instructions for Form 8949.

@brokenduck 

there is an exception for category A or D transactions with no adjustments.

OTHERWISE,

IRS requires all transactions details to be reported on one of:

1. The 8949 TurboTax produces when you enter the details.
  2. Your  own 8949 that you prepare in some other way.
  3. Your spread sheet or broker's consolidated 1099  that shows all the details as they would appear on form 8949; 

Item 1 is handled by TurboTax.

if item 2 or 3 of these is a PDF you can attach the PDF when you e-File.

Otherwise you have to mail the item 2 or item 3 to the IRS at the specified mailing address immediately after you e-File.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@fanfare wrote:

@brokenduck 

if item 2 or 3 of these is a PDF you can attach the PDF when you e-File.

@fanfare  There is no way to attach a PDF to an e-file in TurboTax. If you e-file the tax return you have to mail the statement, attached to Form 8453. TurboTax will prepare the Form 8453 to be printed.

"There is no way to attach a PDF to an e-file in TurboTax"

There are many posts on this forum from users who say they did exactly that.

Too many to think they are all  imagining things.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@fanfare 

New York requires PDF attachments to the state tax return in certain cases. The TurboTax New York program allows PDF attachments to an e-filed New York return only in the CD/Download software, not in TurboTax Online. It's possible that some other states have the same capability.

TurboTax Business (not Home & Business) also allows PDF attachments to e-filed returns, but you can't file a Form 1040 personal tax return with TurboTax Business.

As far as I know, those are the only situations where you can attach a PDF to an e-file in TurboTax. The posts that you see about attaching a PDF may be referring to these situations. I'm certain that you cannot attach a PDF of a Form 8949 or brokerage statement to a federal Form 1040 e-file in TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies