Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I get a tax benefit for stock options I hold for a former employer company which is in liquidation?

Unfortunately my former employer company suffered too long under the conditions of the impacts of COVID-19 so is now in liquidation in 2020.  I had several years of incentive stock options (ISO's) as well as some option shares I purchased upon exit from the company in 2014.
Can I record those shares as a loss in the 2020 tax year?  The shares were not exercised.  And if so, how do I calculate the amount for what is now a $0 valuation?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I get a tax benefit for stock options I hold for a former employer company which is in liquidation?

The unexercised options have no value  ... you have no loss on these.   Once the liquidation is done and you know what you got out of it, if anything, then you can write off the loss of those stocks you actually owned. 

Thanks for your reply, Critter-3.  That makes sense, as the options were only options to buy.  
But what about the additional options I purchased?  Is the amount I paid for these deductible as a total loss?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies