Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot import 1099-B from e*trade with TT2021 premier desktop

I tried many ways but none of them works. Each time when I tried to import, it says:

This import was unsuccessful.

There isn't any tax-related info to import right now.

I found people asked this question again and again every year. Does intuit intent to solve it? If not, I will stop turbotax and try other ways.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

are you sure your 1099-B is ready? the best course of action is to contact e*trade

Although the initial forms are available by 2/15  the FINAL  information is usually not ready until sometime in March ... ask E*trade when the import function will be made available. 

Thanks. 

I asked e-trade and they said they will simply provide pdf and csv file for the transactions, and these files are ready in e-trade account for download. 

However, if I try to import from e-trade. I failed again for the same error. 

I will try again in mid March to see whether there is luck.

BTW, can turbotax import tax form from local csv file? If yes, importing 1099-B will be quite easy.

Thanks.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

The only file format that TurboTax will import is .TXF, but you don't have to import all the transactions. You can make summary entries in TurboTax, and attach a statement to your tax return giving the details of the transactions. You can create the statement from whatever file you have.

Click this link for more info on How to Enter a Summary in Lieu of Individual Transactions

If you're e-filing, you only need to mail copies of your 8949 along with Form 8453 if:

• You entered a summary for one or more sales categories (instead of each individual sale); AND
  • The sales category for one or more summaries is something other than Box A (short-term covered) or Box D (long-term covered); or
  • The Box A and/or Box D summary includes adjustments (typically listed in boxes 1f or 1g on your broker statement).

Click this link for more info on Do I Need to Mail Form 8949?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. Here are the facts I met:

1, my1099-b form was ready on e-trade website since Feb. 15. I have about 2000 transactions in 2021

2, I tried to import etrade 1099-b from turbotax for many times, but failed

3, There is no option in e-trade enable/disable third-party data access

I will try again in mid March, and if failed again, I'll have to print the 2000 transactions and mail to IRS. But next year maybe I will change to use other tax software.

The same here!

I am so disappointed, I had used  TT premier many years and imported my 1099-B from E*Trade without any issue, but this year I tried many many times , but still unsuccessful. I contacted TurboTax, but they told me to enter it manually. What is the point to pay for premier version?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

The version is dependent on the forms in which you need to file. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies