turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct Stock Trading fees such as Motley Fool or Pateron membership fee?

I do a lot of stock trading.  I have received 1099-B from my broker.  I pay for services such as Motely Fool or various Pateron  memberships for stock trading help.  Can I deduct these fees?  If so, where do I input these fees in Turbo Tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

ColleenD3,

My read of the original query is that they are asking about one-time membership fees, not per-transaction costs.  Unfortunately, the 2017 tax "reform" eliminated those as 2% miscellaneous itemized deductions on an individual's personal return.  However, some states, e.g. CA where I reside, did not change their state income tax laws to match and those fees are still 2% deductible expenses.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

The commissions would be deducted from the Sales Proceeds. In most cases the amount reported has already been reduced by any fees or commissions. 

However, if you need to report fees, commission, or other sales expenses that were not subtracted from the proceeds reported on Form 1099-B, you can enter these expenses by selecting, "I paid sales expenses..."

ColleenD3,

My read of the original query is that they are asking about one-time membership fees, not per-transaction costs.  Unfortunately, the 2017 tax "reform" eliminated those as 2% miscellaneous itemized deductions on an individual's personal return.  However, some states, e.g. CA where I reside, did not change their state income tax laws to match and those fees are still 2% deductible expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies