Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CaptainJ

Question about Transfer of Mutual Funds

I have considerable funds that are currently invested in a mutual fund, but I would like to transfer them to an index fund in order to take advantage of lower fees and better performance. However, as this money has been in my mutual fund for several years, I am worried that the transfer might trigger a large capital gains tax. Is there any way for me to make the transfer without having to paying the capital gains tax (until I decide to actually sell and collect the profits)?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sorry but that is a sale and you pay cap gains no matter what the profits are used to purchase. 

jtax
Level 10

If the mutual funds are held in an IRA or 401k or the like there will be no tax until withdrawn. Selling a fund and buying another one is not a withdrawal.

If, however, they are in a regular taxable account, then yes you will have to pay capital gains. However capital gains rates have never every been lower. Some people even have a zero percent rate! See e.g., https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-use-the-zero-percent-tax-rate-on-capital-gains-2388995

Moving to index funds is a very good idea. (IMHO)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies