Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QBI and Safe harbor

Hello, I am in the process of doing my 2019 individual tax return. I have read several publications and TT posting. I am confused about QBI and Safe Harbor.  I think I qualify but it's not clear and if I should or should not take the deduction.  What are the pros and cons? 

Here is my situation I am a licensed real estate broker. I own 2 single-member LLCs both own multiple rental properties. Both LLC are for profit based businesses with EIN. I actively participate in both. I spend more than 250 hours and more than half of my work time managing these rentals. All of of these properties are residential real estate.  Each LLC has separate bank accounts and separate accounting. Will I qualify for QBI deduction as a trade or business? Also do I want to use a safe harbor to qualify for property deduction? Should I elect to use Safe harbor for this property on its own? Or Elect to combine this property with other properties as part of a real estate enterprise? Or none of these apply?

I not sure about the questions about Specified Service Trade or Business (SSTB).  Being a Realtor am I consider a SSTB? 

Maybe I am reading to much into this. What I do is simply, I rent rental homes, I collect rent and make repairs as needed. Will I qualify for QBI deduction as a trade or business and should I take it?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

QBI and Safe harbor

Maybe I am reading too much into this. What I do is simply, I rent rental homes, I collect rent and make repairs as needed. Will I qualify for QBI deduction as a trade or business and should I take it?

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

QBI and Safe harbor

rental real estate is your business.  Evidently, TT does not support real estate aggregation for real estate professionals.   Renting real estate even for real estate pros is not an SSTB.  Whether you get the QBI depended on a lot of factors.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies