Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I add 2018 mortgage interest, insurance cost, and utilities to the tax basis of a rental property I sold in 2018, if stopped renting it in 2017?

I inherited and began renting the property in 2015, stopped renting Nov. 2017, & sold it Jan. 2018. Never used as personal residence. Sold for profit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do I add 2018 mortgage interest, insurance cost, and utilities to the tax basis of a rental property I sold in 2018, if stopped renting it in 2017?

You should be selling it as a rental property on the Sch E  in this situation ... put the holding costs on that form. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1933977-i-sold-my-rental-property-how-do-i-report-that?jump_to=ans...

I guess my issue is that it was not rented in 2018, since the tenants left Nov. 2017 and it was sold Jan. 2018. When I enter 0 days used as a rental, then it deletes it. Should I include the days in January that I owned it even though it was not rented?

Put 1 day for rented to keep the Sch E present.
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

No mortgage interest, insurance cost, and utilities are not added to the tax basis of rental property.

The adjusted cost basis of your rental property when you sold it is the purchase price plus any capital improvements you have made to the property less depreciation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies