Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sharp_rob

Purchased new rental property. In TurboTax "Purchase Price" do I enter purchase price or the cost basis? I had to replace the roof and add insulation before renting.

When entering the purchase price, TurboTax doesn't give additional information about cost basis. 

Do I enter the price of the home? 

The price of the home plus closing costs? 

The price plus closing plus renovation/repairs (i.e. cost basis)? 

I had almost $16k of work to complete to make it livable... 

Thank you! This forum has been a GREAT help. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Purchased new rental property. In TurboTax "Purchase Price" do I enter purchase price or the cost basis? I had to replace the roof and add insulation before renting.

Your purchase price should include closing costs. Your improvements (roof/insulation/etc.) should be entered as such and depreciated at the residential rental depreciation rate (27.5yrs).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ashby

Your purchase price should include closing costs. Your improvements (roof/insulation/etc.) should be entered as such and depreciated at the residential rental depreciation rate (27.5yrs).

sharp_rob

I just saw that there is a page to enter legal fees, title insurance, etc. The page is titled "Enter Escrow Fees" which is probably incorrect, since things like legal fees and title insurance are NOT escrowed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies