turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MM-KWF

Purchase of my partners ownership interest in LLC

I have purchased the ownership interest of the 2 other members in an LLC effective on 12/30/2020.  I now own 100% of the LLC.  How should the tax return for the LLC reflect this transaction? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I would strongly recommend you seek a pro's help. the partnership has terminated. so a final return must be file. however, the tax laws concerning termination of a partnership and a partner's interest are complex.  for example, the terminating partners may have ordinary income under section 751 - ie some of what you paid them may be ordinary income and needs to be reported on the final partnership return and K-1's.   special allocations may be required.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I would strongly recommend you seek a pro's help. the partnership has terminated. so a final return must be file. however, the tax laws concerning termination of a partnership and a partner's interest are complex.  for example, the terminating partners may have ordinary income under section 751 - ie some of what you paid them may be ordinary income and needs to be reported on the final partnership return and K-1's.   special allocations may be required.  

Carl
Level 15

Basically, since a partnership can not exist without at least two owners, that means the partnership terminated on the closing date of your buyout/acqusition of the business. So the partnership will be filing a final return, and you will be filing your first SCH C.

While all this is perfectly possible to accomplish with TurboTax, the laws on this can differ greatly state-to-state. If the partnership had assets that were being depreciated and now you own those assets 100%, this can get quite complex. I would highly recommend you seek professional help for this for at least the 2020 tax year to ensure all the tax paperwork is done correctly and completely. Than after that if you're comfortable with it, you can continue the SCH C yourself starting with your 2021 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies