turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Providing adjusted cost basis for stock sales broken in 2020 for ESPP type. TurboTax still uses the 1099-B reported cost basis. Amount should appear in form 8949

This worked fine last year. Seems to be busted for 2020. The cost basis adjustment is required to offset the ESPP employee discount that I have to report as compensation income
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Providing adjusted cost basis for stock sales broken in 2020 for ESPP type. TurboTax still uses the 1099-B reported cost basis. Amount should appear in form 8949

The ESPP step-by-step doesn't work.  Reports cost basis of $0.  TT Premium for Windows.  

I'm using Web 2020 TurboTax Premier. Sad to hear that the Windows local version also doesn't work for ESPP.

I had the same ESPP sales in 2019 and it did work fine. I can see that form 8949 shows the cost basis adjustment for ESPP purchases to represent the compensation income discount. It shows as code O in column (f) and the amount in column (g). These show blank in the 2020 edition. The compensation income also worked in 2019 but in 2020 it doesn't work if I use the TurboTax cost basis wizard, that part does work in 2020 if I enter the data myself and skip the cost basis wizard.

Paul

Also hitting the same issue on Turbo Tax Premier Desktop (windows)

PSE52
Returning Member

I'm having the same issue.  How do you enter futures gains/losses in for 8949?

Linking another thread on the same issue where someone had called in a reported this to TurboTax.

Re: TurboTax 2020 refuses to correct cost basis fo... (intuit.com)

Paul

taxAlan

I have the same problem using TT 2020 Premier download version for my desktop computer.  I contacted TT (on 2/15/2021) and they confirmed that it is a software bug and they had no work-around.  It has now been 20 days and they keep promising a software update.  Really sad they can't fix bugs faster. 

Sharing my experience from today 3/6/2021. TurboTax Web 2020 appears to have fixed the original bug I had with long term held ESPP stock sale, additional compensation income, and correctly populating form 8949 with the cost basis adjustments. It worked for me just now if I let them calculate it from form 3922 data. I can see the additional compensation added and the adjusted cost basis. Still doesn't seem to work if I tell them I want to enter it myself.

TT Premier for Windows step-by-step appears to be working now.  

But non step-by-step (which should be more accurate) is still not fixed - its not generating the 8949 and still using the cost basis reported by 1099b - keep reporting issues here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/re-espp-rsu-issues-on...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies