Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

possible bug - 1099B for options Sell

option sell can have the negative cost acquisition. The system does not pick up while importing the 1099B and it neither allows manual correction as it expects at least 0 in that field. I think its a bug and needs to be resolved as it it very much possible to have the 

Box 1e - Cost or other basis  = (-100) and 

Box 1d - Proceeds = 0

Gain = +100

System, after importing, asks to review these items. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

There is apparently an issue with the import file the broker provides.  there can be no negative cost. what you have on a short sale is proceeds.  then if it lapses it has zero cost resulting in gain.  if you close out the short sale with a purchase the that should be the cost the broker is reporting. if the option is excercised the procced are supposed to be add to the proceeds from selling the stock.  

My broker does similarly, but puts negative amount in proceeds, and zero in cost.

My tax software accepts this, but will not allow a negative amount in cost.

BUT

e-File would not work with negative proceeds on Schedule D. This was a known problem and

IRS suggested a work around to tax software providers so the e-File could go through.

Perhaps that problem has been fixed by now.

Schedule D is supposed to allow a negative proceeds and you should be able to e-File.

@sanash 

cc: @Mike9241 

@fanfare @sanash my brokers do the opposite for short sales. proceeds are positive on 1099-B as is cost if they are closed out, so I have no issue with import or e-filing.  to me negative proceeds when you actually received them seems illogical.   also, as you pointed out negative cost is not allowed so if i sold for 10000 and closed out for 8000 there's a problem in showing the proper 2000 gain. if I show negative proceeds, desktop version, and assuming no cost - option expired, instead of a 10000 gain I have a 10000 loss. An extremely huge problem

In the example I have from my broker, the transaction did result in a loss.

if you sold short and the proceeds from the short sale exceed the cost to close or the option lapsed, then you see the problem you have a gain not a loss. BIG BIG BUG. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies