turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pay taxes on a home that we lived in until Feb. 3 of 2018. we moved to a senior residence where we pay rent of $3860 monthly.

How do I  report  this ?  I'm  [removed]    Cant  find  a situation  like  mine.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
sbsund

Pay taxes on a home that we lived in until Feb. 3 of 2018. we moved to a senior residence where we pay rent of $3860 monthly.

i think part of your question was cut off... can you elaborate?

Hi. From your question -- it looked like you were asking where to enter in mortgage interest you paid on your home. 

You go to the Deductions & Credits Section of TurboTax and enter in your mortgage interest and other possible deductions. 

When you finish going through the Deductions & Credits section, we'll automatically give you the deduction, standard or itemized, that gives you the best outcome on your federal taxes. Our estimate is that nearly 90% of federal tax filers will be better off taking the higher standard deduction this year, up from an estimated 70% last year.

But if you still want to switch to the itemized deduction, you can do that too. Simply follow the instructions in this FAQ.

With state returns, things are a little different. Some states, like Illinois and Massachusetts, don't have itemized deductions, while others, like New York, require that you choose the same deduction you took on your federal return. When you get to your state return, we'll let you know what’s available according to your state's tax laws.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies