turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kobi0121

Partially owned rentals & auto deductions

I personally own several out of state rental homes with my unmarried partner 50/50. We use her car to go manage the rentals as needed.  We use a separate rental checking account to pay for gas, meals, and hotels when we go see the rentals.  I'm confused on how to deduct the expenses associated with her car ie: primarily gas . Turbo tax asks if I own the car, which I don't and they say I can't deduct the expenses since I don't own it.  But half of the money is being used to pay for gas is  mine.  What can I deduct for auto expenses in Schedule E if I don't own the car? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Partially owned rentals & auto deductions

The best way to handle this in your situation is to enter the gasoline as an expense.  You indicated that half of the money was paid by you for the gas. Use your actual gas expense you paid for the vehicle you do not own. 

On your partner's return they should use half the miles for their expense deduction since they only paid for half the gas as well.

If you entered a vehicle under the rental activity or activities that you do not own, then you must delete that.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies