turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jwittpenn
Returning Member

Own multiple rental properties with partner. 50/50 % ownership on all properties. split the properties. now own 100% in one and 0% in others. how do I show this on taxes?

50% was on multiple years taxes. Now some of the properties will disappear from my taxes without being sold. others will show 100% ownership. Is that an issue?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Own multiple rental properties with partner. 50/50 % ownership on all properties. split the properties. now own 100% in one and 0% in others. how do I show this on taxes?

It sounds like you sold the 50% interest in one of the properties to your partner, and you bought a 100% interest in the other.  So you can treat it as a sale and purchase.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

it seeems you traded yor 50% interest in one property to obtain you other partner's 50% interest in another property.  the IRS position is that you sold the first property and bought the second.   Sales price would be 1/2 the total Fair Market Value of the property you relinquished.

That becomes your bais in 1/2 the property you acquired.  the basis would need to be allocated between land and building. and sdate acquired is the date of the trade.          

by the way have you been filing partnership returns?  

jwittpenn
Returning Member

thank you have your response. Here is a little more info so that I make sure I file it correctly.

no partnership returns filed.

I put up 100% of investment money, purchase & expenses on all properties.

Partner paid me 3% interest.

we would split the profit & rent, 50/50

Property A goes to partner

Property B & C goes to me 

Quit claim of deed never was filed at initial purchase for Property A. I am not officially on title for property A

How do I account for the initial purchase/expenses cost basis when I apply the sales price from the relinquished property A?

Do I file as if I sold 50% of Property A? Would I have to be paying taxes on that property?

Then I purchased 50% of Property B & C with a different cost basis than the initial 50%? 

jwittpenn
Returning Member

If I treat it as a sale, I would have a capital gain. Even if that gain was used to trade for the other properties.

Do I have to pay taxes on that gain? or can I show it as a swap/trade?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The only way you can avoid paying tax on the gain from sale of the property would be to arrange the sale as a like kind exchange. In order to do that, however, you would have had to arrange the sale through an intermediary, as you would not be able to hold the money from the sale that you used to purchase the replacement property.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I HIGHLY recommend you use a paid tax preparer to complete the partnership and personal returns ... this is not a DIY project if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies