turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TTUser7

NQSO sale is not reported on W-2. How do I report it correctly in TurboTax Premier?

The transaction confirmation from the stock plan shows taxable income as well as withholding for Federal, State, FICA Social Security and FICA Medical taxes. None of that is included in W-2. The stock plan sent 1099-B without any withholding.

TurboTax does ask whether or not the income from NQSO sale is included in W-2. So there is a way to account for it even if it is not reported on W-2.

Where and how can I enter all of the tax withholding related to the sale?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

NQSO sale is not reported on W-2. How do I report it correctly in TurboTax Premier?

I'm finding your explanation confusing and I'm also not sure if you have your facts right.  So let's back up and discuss how the exercise of a NQSO and the sale of the stock should work.

First, it's the exercise of the NQSO, not the sale of the stock, that creates compensation.  The amount of compensation is calculated as:

GROSS number of shares exercised x (per share FMV of stock at exercise date - per share exercise price)

This compensation is independent of any sale of the stock,   If you don't sell a singe share this compensation should be calculated and included on the W-2.  The W-2 does not report the "sale" of the stock, the W-2 does not report the "gain" from selling the stock. 

If this really was a NQSO then the compensation should have been included in Box 1 of the W-2 and separately disclosed to you in Box 12 with the amount coded "V".

FIRST QUESTION TO YOU:  You are absolutely sure that the compensation was not included on the W-2?  If that's really the case then you should ask for a corrected W-2.

"The transaction confirmation from the stock plan shows taxable income as well as withholding for Federal, State, FICA Social Security and FICA Medical taxes. None of that is included in W-2. The stock plan sent 1099-B without any withholding."

All of that is evidence to me that you engaged in a "same day" sale of the stock - some or all of it - and that some of the money was diverted back to the employer for federal, state and payroll taxes.  I expect you received the net of this, probably after a further deduction for the exercise amount you should have paid to acquire the stock in the first place.  The broker, except in very unusual situations, does not withhold income taxes and never withholds payroll taxes.  That's why you don't see any taxes being reported on the 1099-B.

"Where and how can I enter all of the tax withholding related to the sale?"

I'm willing to bet you money that all the withholding has already been reported on the W-2, because the typical treatment is that the money "for taxes" and "for exercise" is passed back to the employer, who pays the government.  Although the compensation associated with the exercise should be disclosed on the W-2 there's typically no disclosure about NQSO-related taxes on the W-2.  You can ask your payroll department to be sure.

"TurboTax does ask whether or not the income from NQSO sale is included in W-2. So there is a way to account for it even if it is not reported on W-2."

There is a way, but I don't think you need it.  I think everything is on the W-2 already, you just don't know it.

Frequently people ask the question of "how can I enter all of the tax withholding related to the sale" because they see their income taxes go way up when the enter the sale of the stock.  In almost all cases that's because they are using the wrong basis to report the sale.  Your per-share basis is the same as the per share FMV used by the employer to calculate the compensation, not the per share amount you paid to exercise.  Accordingly a "same day" sale - which is what I'm guessing happened here - typically shows a small loss due to selling commissions and fees.

Tom Young

TTUser7

Thank you for your response, Tom. It was a cashless for cash excercise of NQSO, so I exercised my options and immediately sold the shares. This, as you indicated, created compensation to be reported on W-2.

As I stated earlier, neither the compensation nor the related tax withholding was included in W-2. I know this because 1) I double checked the form adding up all compensation received during the year 2) I confirmed with the payroll. Somehow, the reporting for the transaction fell through the cracks. They said it would take ADP more than a month to issue a corrected W-2. But I have only days to file my return before the extension runs out.

Indeed, some of the money was diverted to pay for federal, state and payroll taxes, with me getting the remainder. Also, when entering the related 1099-B in TurboTax, I do see a small loss for the sale due to commissions and fees.

I know how to report the compensation portion due to this NQSO exercise. How and where can I account for federal, state and payroll taxes that were withheld?

Well, your payroll department certainly screwed up, big time.   I'd be inclined to tell the payroll department to issue a W-2C, on their own, RIGHT NOW and let them deal with ADP.  Otherwise, through no fault of your own, you're almost certainly going to have some back and forth with the IRS.

There's a variety of ways you might get the federal, state and payroll taxes that were withheld actually reported here.  I'd think the easiest way would be to report a 2nd W-2 from your company with all the "missing" information, assuming you know it.  If you used the NQSO "wizard" to get the compensation reported then delete that sale and simply use the "regular" entry method, correcting the basis.

I exercised (same day) NQSO and received a 1099-B from Broker, but there is no number in Box 4 (Fed income tax withheld).  Only Gross Proceeds (Box 1d) are entered on my 1099-B.

I am retired and no longer receive a W2 from my employer. When I did work - this info would be included on my W2.  In TurboTax - where do I enter the tax withheld so I don't get taxed twice?

If somebody withholds taxes they are required to report that both to the US Government and to the individual whose taxes were withheld. 

Brokers are not generally required to withhold taxes arising from the sale of stock and when they do it's called "backup withholding" and they are required to report that on the 1099-B.  The exercise of NQSOs requires that the former employer issue a W-2 which reports the compensation created by the exercise and also the taxes withheld.  The way that generally is handled, mechanically, is that the portion of the proceeds of the sale designated as "cash for taxes" is passed back to the employer, who then pays the government,

Call the broker and ask what happened to the amount of proceeds earmarked as being for taxes.  I'd be surprised if it wasn't sent on to the employer.  Follow the money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies