turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about rental income and if I qualify for not-for-profit since my mortgage is more than my rental income

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Question about rental income and if I qualify for not-for-profit since my mortgage is more than my rental income

Not-for-profit has more to do with the intention rather than actual results. Is the amount your tenant is paying less than you would charge an unrelated person who was willing to pay full rental value? If so, there is no profit motive. You would enter your income on Line 21 1040, deduct you mortgage interest and property taxes on your Schedule A as a second home and your other rental expenses are deductible as a miscellaneous deduction subject to 2% of AGI limitation also on Schedule A.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Not-for-profit has more to do with the intention rather than actual results. Is the amount your tenant is paying less than you would charge an unrelated person who was willing to pay full rental value? If so, there is no profit motive. You would enter your income on Line 21 1040, deduct you mortgage interest and property taxes on your Schedule A as a second home and your other rental expenses are deductible as a miscellaneous deduction subject to 2% of AGI limitation also on Schedule A.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies