Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My W2 income plus state tax return added up to just over $150K. Why did my losses on my rental property (passive activity) not reduce my adjusted gross income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My W2 income plus state tax return added up to just over $150K. Why did my losses on my rental property (passive activity) not reduce my adjusted gross income?

You cannot offset your ordinary income with your passive losses because your adjusted gross income is too high.

Losses from rental property are considered passive losses and can generally offset passive income only; if these passive losses exceed your passive income, they are suspended and carried forward indefinitely until future years, when you either have passive income or sell a property at a gain.

Under the passive activity rules you can deduct up to $25,000 in passive losses against your ordinary income (W-2 wages) if your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is $100,000 or less. 

This deduction phases out $1 for every $2 of MAGI above $100,000 until $150,000 when it is completely phased out. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies