Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

quizzette

My property manager pay for repairs, deduct it from my rental income but send 1099 to the contractor with his tax ID. Can this be deducted as payment to the Manager ?

How to report the expense on repairs because I do not pay to independent contractors neither do I have their tax ID. I pay all the fees to property manager.  On the top, property manager says he reports all the expense paid to independent contractor with his tax Id not mine. How can claim this deductions  as payment to contractors or to property manager ?

By the way, I send the property manager with 1099 showing all the expense,  I paid to him.  I did not have any way to send 1099 to independent contractors as he already send it with his tax ID last year end to independent contractors.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

My property manager pay for repairs, deduct it from my rental income but send 1099 to the contractor with his tax ID. Can this be deducted as payment to the Manager ?

You would report the full amount of your income for your rental property.  Then use the amount that the property manager paid for repairs on your behalf as an expense for repairs for your rental property.  This effectively reduces your income to the amount that you actually received. 

Do not worry about needing to issue a 1099 to the independent contractor who did the repairs.  They were technically paid by the management company (although with funds generated by your rental property).  It would be correct for the management company to issue the 1099 to the independent contractor instead of you. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You would report the full amount of your income for your rental property.  Then use the amount that the property manager paid for repairs on your behalf as an expense for repairs for your rental property.  This effectively reduces your income to the amount that you actually received. 

Do not worry about needing to issue a 1099 to the independent contractor who did the repairs.  They were technically paid by the management company (although with funds generated by your rental property).  It would be correct for the management company to issue the 1099 to the independent contractor instead of you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies