turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My dad took out a HELOC on his home and gave me the money to build my home. But I make the monthly payments to his HELOC. Would this be considered rent or mortgage paymen

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

My dad took out a HELOC on his home and gave me the money to build my home. But I make the monthly payments to his HELOC. Would this be considered rent or mortgage paymen

As far as you are concerned, the monthly payments to his HELOC lender aren't rent or mortgage payments.  

Technically, your dad lent (or gave) you the money. By making the payments on his HELOC you are, in manner of speaking, paying it back to him with interest. 

He is the only one who would be able to claim the mortgage interest deduction; to deduct mortgage interest, a mortgage loan has to be legally secured by your (in this case Dad's) residence and he has to be responsible for payments. 

It isn't rent, unless your dad owns your house. Rent isn't deductible to you, but would be income to him.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

As far as you are concerned, the monthly payments to his HELOC lender aren't rent or mortgage payments.  

Technically, your dad lent (or gave) you the money. By making the payments on his HELOC you are, in manner of speaking, paying it back to him with interest. 

He is the only one who would be able to claim the mortgage interest deduction; to deduct mortgage interest, a mortgage loan has to be legally secured by your (in this case Dad's) residence and he has to be responsible for payments. 

It isn't rent, unless your dad owns your house. Rent isn't deductible to you, but would be income to him.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies