turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Long term cap gains tax being taxed as short term gains?

I am in the highest tax bracket, and I have long term cap gains of $50k.  From what I understand, these gains should be taxed at 20%.  However, the system is entering my long term gains into Schedule 1, and then this amount is then being carried over to line 6 of 1040 and added to my total income, with the result being it is being taxed at the highest bracket, ie the same as a short term cap gain.  Is there an error with the forms or am I not understanding something?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

The forms are correct. What you need to look at is the "Qualified Dividends and capital gains worksheet" where the tax calculations are made, when you have LT cap gains. Depending on your situation you may have  a "Schedule D Tax worksheet" instead of the Qualified Dividends and capital gains worksheet.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

The forms are correct. What you need to look at is the "Qualified Dividends and capital gains worksheet" where the tax calculations are made, when you have LT cap gains. Depending on your situation you may have  a "Schedule D Tax worksheet" instead of the Qualified Dividends and capital gains worksheet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies