Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I put rental expenses for HOA? Under "Cleaning & Maintenance" (Line 7) or "Other" (Line 19)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
DS30

Where do I put rental expenses for HOA? Under "Cleaning & Maintenance" (Line 7) or "Other" (Line 19)

You can put this Homeowners Association expense under other expenses.

To enter this HOA expense in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Business" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Wages & Income” ("Business Income and Expense" in TurboTax Home & Business)
  3. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (jump to full list)
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Rental Properties and Royalties
  5. Choose “Rental Properties and Royalties” and select “start’ (or “update” is you have already worked on this section)

Enter your rental property information through the TurboTax guided questions (or edit your rental property if it is already entered) until you come to a screen that is titled, Your "rental property name" rental summary.

Select to edit your rental expenses>I'll choose what I work on> click through several screen until you get to one titled "any other expenses" - you can put the total cost here with a description of "Homeowners association fees" (see screenshot)

@TurboTaxDeeS In the past 2 years, when I used "Guided Me" under Turbo Tax, it actually put the HOA under "Cleaning & Maintenance". Does it mean it was wrong the last 2 years??
DS30

That is OK, too. I guess you can argue that HOA is considered a maintenance fee. (as in the HOA keeps the communal areas of your rental property and neighborhood clean)
view2

Lenders now look for this on the tax return you might want to list  as other expenses and notation "HOA payments"

The association’s has “super-priority” lien rights.
sss3d

Put under "Management Fees" - Look me up for more help. -  Hanson So

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 7.49.31 PM.png

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Yes, since they are listed there under Property Maintenance (Cleaning and Maintenance)  in TurboTax, list them there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

The absolute very last thing in the rental expenses section is for Miscellaneous Expenses. Just put it there labeled as "HOA Fees" and you're fine. Been doing that for over 25 years now.

Also, do not call it "HOA Dues". I did that one year and apparently the IRS computers thought it was dues paid to a professional organization that I was a member of. I was questioned on it because I am not in a profession that has a "professional" organization.

I always list it as management fees.  To me it is the management of the property. 

I pay HOA Fees and I pay a property management company monthly fee to manage the property as a super. Thus "Management Fee" I use for 'super' property mgt.

"Cleaning and Maintenance" as it covers exterior gardening is what I'll use for HOA fees.

Thanks guys

This is very true, I am working with a lender and now I have to write letter that the HOA fees are included under maintenance for the underwriters to see if that helps as they back out HOA fees when looking at your expenses. 

It is best to put under other and write in HOA fees. 

What is allowed on the IRS form and what the mortgage brokers look at can be totally different animals  so don't worry about what line it is on the Sch E.   What they don't take into consideration is the depreciation so if they need an explanation of what is in the mgmt fees line then so be it. 

If the lenders want to see the HOA fees listed, whatever the reason, other with it listed is the way to go. Why hassle with it? If you are not planing on getting a mortgage then it doesn't matter. I can understand discounting depreciation but for some reason, it was important.to see the HOA as separate.  

Personally I would have shown them a monthly bill from the HOA x 12 months to support the deduction they are questioning.  Remember mortgage underwriters are not well versed in income tax regs and most just have to check off boxes on a checklist and don't really understand the underlying tax forms that are presented to them.  But do what ever you need to do to accomplish the task at hand.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies