turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year I only had loss using Robinhood and according to the Robinhood 1099 form none of it was reported. Do I still have to report my stock activities to TurboTax ?

I'm trying to save money on my taxes because every year I owe federally. (This is something I've been working on with the accountant at my employer) If I go ahead and file my 1099 securities form from Robinhood it will increase my tax cost because I have to use TurboTax premier. I don't want to pay anymore this year than I have to.
If possible I'd like to avoid entering my 1099 from Robinhood because the only thing on it are unreported losses. Am I right about not needing to submit that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Last year I only had loss using Robinhood and according to the Robinhood 1099 form none of it was reported. Do I still have to report my stock activities to TurboTax ?

**** EDIT: the loss was reported. However I only had loss. It was like -$38

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

No.

You need to report your stock transactions. They are reported to the IRS, just the cost basis is not reported to the IRS.

If you do not report these sales, as the IRS does not have the cost basis, they will assume that the stock basis is 0 and you will receive a notice taxing you on the whole proceeds.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Your still have report these transactions. The loss of $38 is deductible from your income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies