turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is this qualified business income? New question under the asset Rental Summary section, assets depreciation.

The question - is this qualified business income? I have a rental property that has been rented for some time.  Last year, this question was not there.  How do I decide if the answer to this question is yes this income is QBI?  or now this income is not qualified?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Is this qualified business income? New question under the asset Rental Summary section, assets depreciation.

If you materially participate in the rental business, the rental income is Qualified Business Income and you should answer Yes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the response.  Can you elaborate on materially participate?  I have a property manager managing the home, but I make the decisions on repairs and more?  
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You materially participate if you choose the tenant even with the help of the property manager and make decisions on the property.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Material Participation is NOT the determining factor for QBI.  The determining factor fro QBI is if the rental rises to the level or a "Trade or Business".

Minh's comment about choosing a tenant is for "actively participate", NOT Materially Participate (which is different).

Correct, it makes sense. So this means I participate.  So how does TurboTax determine if the rental rises to the level of a "Trade or Business"?

TurboTax does not make that determination, you do.  There should be a "learn more" link somewhere in there that talks about the 250 hour "Safe Harbor" requirements.

It can be complicated and be a "gray area", which is why many in this situation go to tax professionals.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies