Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there any way to get turbo tax to produce form 8949 with each individual trade with cost basis. I understand I don't need it but I still want it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Is there any way to get turbo tax to produce form 8949 with each individual trade with cost basis. I understand I don't need it but I still want it.

No. That is not how the IRS designed the form and TurboTax must conform to the IRS.

Thank you for the prompt response Coleen.  PA requires each trade be documented individually with cost basis.  Turbo Tax only transfers the summary information from the federal return.  A message shows up instructing to fax something separately to PA Taxation Department, or alternatively, to change federal return to produce the individual trade details so that they will be transferred.  How do you suggest to proceed?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It may be easier to fax the information, especially if you have a lot of trades to enter. You could also mail in your return and attached a copy of the 1099-B form showing your individual trades.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schedule D  Line1A states the following:

"Totals for all short-term transactions reported on Form 1099-B for which basis was reported to the IRS and for which you have no adjustments (see instructions). However, if you choose to report all these transactions on Form 8949, leave this line blank and go to line 1b "

Line 1A is filled in by Turbo Tax.  How do I follow the instructions above with Turbo Tax? 

@ColeenD3 

cc @ihatefascists 

ok you used to be able to do this so what is "non-conforming " about it.?

Instead TurboTax now applies a weird rule and prints some transactions but not others.

SO, now with the current TurboTax you may or may not get what you want.

The reason I want the details is because the PA return requires the details of every trade.  Last year line 1A of schedule D was blank and everything went to line 1B and all the details were on copy 1 of 8949 form. 

So there's no way to make that happen in 2020 return?  If not then if I understand you correctly I have 2 options:

mail in the PA return with 1099-B of Federal return attached.

Or to e-file the PA return and fax the 1099-B separately.  In this case sounds like there's a good chance the separate fax will get lost in the shuffle and not connected with my e-filed PA return.

In either case it appears there's no problem with the federal return as is.  Can I e-file the federal return and mail in the PA return?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can e-file the Federal and mail the PA with your 1099-B attached.

It's the same in NJ

Since I started aggregating (no Form 8949)

I put "Broker -1 Sched D Line 1a" <totals>

and  "Broker -1 Sched D Line 8a" <totals>

on that details attachment form.

It's never come back as an issue.

But I don't e-File with TurboTax, so not sure how you would provoke TurboTax to do it that way.

Is there really no way to do this? I have imported all my transactions but Turbotax is summarizing them. There really is no way to tell it not to?

I have the same PA problem. Mailing an extra paper for this would be ridiculous.

To restate the problem: 1099-B transactions are correctly entered/imported as individual transactions, but TurboTax automatically combines and summarizes them on lines 1a and 8a of Schedule D. This is fine and good for the Federal Return but the PA return warns that you'll have to send/fax additional paperwork or go back and list them individually on the Fed return. But there is no way to tell TT to stop combining them on the Fed return!

Well, I called support but they didn't quite understand the issue really. 

The PA warning message indicated it *might* include the appropriate attachment so I went ahead and electronically filed. I'm not sure it did, but I'm not going to worry about it.

The silly thing is TurboTax has all my individual transactions already entered. It could easily list them JUST FOR PA BY ITSELF because you know, it's a computer program and it should be able to format the PA Return the way it needs to be formatted.

I spent several hours in Forms view trying to see how I could mark the transactions in a way that wouldn't summarize them but I came up empty. I noticed all the transactions had an adjustment code "BYPASS8949" but it was uneditable. Oh well.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I don't think the state needs all of that information to process your tax return. As long as the tax return reports the correct totals and tax is calculated correctly, the supplemental information is not important. The worse that could happen is the state will request that information later on.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same exact problem with PA.  Every year in the past, I imported all detail for federal and it carried over to the PA state forms correctly.  This year it will not, it will only summarize.  I got the same message about PA requiring me to send in all the detail.  I understand that the federal return does not require all the detail, but PA does.  As you said, PA should definitely be able to report the detail since we imported it all.  I want to e-file as I've always done and hope that the sent copies of the detail will get matched up to my return correctly.

This is definitely an issue with the PA state software.  I know you called support, but I am going to call also (as soon as I get done with the taxes, that is - I fear it's too late for a fix this year).  Maybe if they hear from multiple people they will realize this is a real issue.

you have the option to detail those transaction on your e-Filed Form 8949.

TurboTax is denying you that option.

Also, TurboTax developers obviously didn't have a use case for PA or NJ transaction details requirement.

This is  a bug not a feature.

lennoncio
Returning Member

did anybody figure out how to do this? today is the last day and I might send like this and wait for notice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies