turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ronnthart

Is the cost basis of my condo rental reduced by land value? If so how would that land portion of the purchase price be determined ? No Land Value on prop tax bill.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Is the cost basis of my condo rental reduced by land value? If so how would that land portion of the purchase price be determined ? No Land Value on prop tax bill.

No, there is no reduction of your cost basis for depreciation purposes.  A condominium unit has no land value attached. When you purchased your condo unit, you were buying only the unit itself and not the land under the building. Once you own the unit, you own a fractional percentage of the land as “tenants-in-common” with the other unit owners.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

no cost basis for the land? then who owns the land.  

i have done contractors that do condo projects and when they sold a house they expensed the cost of the house and a portion of the cost of the land they bought to build on.  and title conveyance also included the land so who owns the land.   even when a condo association (non profit)  owns the land its the condo association members that own the land. and that changes when a condo unit is sold.  future how could a condo owner have to pay real estate taxes on the value of their condo and land if they don't own the land.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies