Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold Inherited rental property that I held less than one year. Turbotax is placing as short term sale in 4797, when inherited should be long term. How do I enter?

I've tried to enter in Rental Properties section, but no ability to enter as inherited, so Turbotax considers it as a short term loss / ordinary loss (which is incorrect).

I've tried to enter under Investment Income "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" but at the end when answering as business instead of personal non-business use, Turbotax asks to delete the information and tells me to enter under "Sale of Business Property".

When entering under "Sale of Business Property", Turbotax asks to delete the information when no gain, and removes the sale.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DS30

I sold Inherited rental property that I held less than one year. Turbotax is placing as short term sale in 4797, when inherited should be long term. How do I enter?

See answer below.

Therefore you will want to enter this rental sale under the rental section.  Please note that when you sell a property that was used as a rental, you must pay 25 percent recapture tax (also referred to as Section 1250 recapture) as well as regular state income tax on the depreciation you claimed. (Remember the IRS will assume that you claimed the correct amount of depreciation every year—this is true regardless of whether you actually claimed any depreciation on your tax return).

Inherited property is ALWAYS long term.  To get that result, you enter INHERITED in date acquired.

TurboTax tax won’t allow you to enter Inherited instead of a date.

I agree Inherited property it’s always long term.

OK, It allows me to enter inherited under the sale of business section.  Thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies